Search This Blog

Friday, September 12, 2008

Kwatro Kantos In Oakland

We set up our art at 21 Grand in Oaktown. Kwatro Kantos is made up of Marcius Noceda, Carlo Ricafort, Engalnd Hidalgo, our curator Lian Ladia and me.



I manipulated this Ginebra image 2 years ago for one of our exhibits at Bindlestiff. I guess that image stuck with us because England suggested it to be the name of our group and everyone agreed. I came from adverising so I like using pop images. Ginebra San Miguel is an icon in the Philippines and it’s one of my favorite drinks. It’s cheap, tastes good and potent. I used to drink a lot and I can say I personally know what it means to drink Ginebra. I know all you pinoys in P.I. know this too. Like I said, it’s cheap and potent and that says a lot.

It’s basically what we’re trying to say. Art could be cheap and potent too. You know how those institutions elevate ‘art’ into this unreachable pedestal. I don’t like buying those expensive materials in art stores. Why should I do that when I can buy it at any hardware store. What’s important for us is getting our messages across regardless of what kind of materials we use. We ARE the artists so they don’t have much choice.

Art is a luxury in the Philippines. Only the rich and the middle class get interested in it because it means nothing to the majority. They have to fill their stomachs first before getting into ‘art.’

I was just contemplating and realized that there’s no tagalog translation for the word ‘exhibit.’ The closest I can think of is ‘palabas.’ It’s just a ‘show’ like a circus. Nothing serious so why give meaning to a piece of s___. Excuse my French.



We got noticed by East Bay Express and wrote something about us. Flavorpill said Kwatro Kantos is what was happening in the art scene (August – September 2008) in the San Francisco bay area and I think they’re right.

EastBay Express link.

Thanks to barbara jane reyes for her article.

WORKS























RECEPTION







Some pictures in my garage. Preparation for the exhibit.



2 comments:

P!T!K - BLAG said...

Pareng mel, tolits ito! dont know if you still remember me.:) Di na ako nakatiis, i have to put a comment on this.... Lupit ng mga installations mo! ang tagal nang umiikot sa utak ko ang ganyang execution hindi ko lang kung paano magmamaterialize until i saw your works pare! a combination of photography, painting and basura! naalala ko tuloy yung exhibit ni Fabo, mga illustrations na ginaawa sa mga kahon ng radyo, sapatos, etc, etc! Matagal na akong nabakante sa painting, di ko sure kung kaya ko pang ibalik. Although i'd love to do it again. Anyway, kamusta na lang kay millet and the kids! ingat pare ko and good luck!

Gasolito

MVC said...

musta tolits, salamat sa comment. oo kumbinasyon nga ng mga sinabi mo. para sa akin kasi, madali mas okey. yan kasi ang available na mga materyales sa paligid ko kaya tine-take advantage ko. mahirap kasi kung susunod ako sa mga sinasabi ng established beliefs sa art. i have to follow my path at tingin ko'y isa ito dun.

oo nga ginagawa din ni fabo.

musta na lang sa tropa.

blog mo ba yung p!t!k? bisitahin ko.

mel