Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I Saw Mang Gene Last Night

i was having this art exhibit in my old classroom. they hanged works that i thought somebody did for me. it was all red in theme like a chinese silk cloth. the only reminder that i did the paintings was because of its huge sizes.

when the reception was over we went home of course but the next day i had to check the artworks again just to make sure it was mine. it was a weekend so i know the classroom/gallery will be closed but there should be somebody there to open the door.

as i went in the classroom/gallery i noticed mang gene at a corner sweeping. i was shocked. i know mang gene passed away 2 years ago. i shouted in excitement and called him - PLEN!!! (meaning friend). that's how we used to call each other. mang gene was our janitor during my 9 years at avellana and associates. he was struck by a bus while riding his bicycle in antipolo. that's how he died. he was about 60 and as strong as a carabao.

i asked him why. he told me that that's the way things are. shit happens - he didn't say this but it's what he meant.

we hugged each other. nangingilid pa ang luha ko... then i asked him if i could take his picture so that i can show it to living people. fuck! i didn't bring my camera but mang gene handed me this mini digicam so i pointed it to him but it didn't work. i tried shooting again but we were distracted by children playing outside the classroom/gallery. when i looked at mang gene outside the camera he was gone. and that's when i woke up.

wow! thanks PLEN for the visit. i'm very happy.

i will post mang gene's picture once i find it.

i remember some other dead people visiting me thru my dreams. my best friend apol visited me during his birthday. my lolo and lola also did.

by the way those paintings were really mine.

No comments: